19 Jul Lemon Self-Saucing Pudding (no lemons needed!)
I’ve been obsessed with citrus lately, whether it’s eating raw Limes, diffusing all my citrus oils, or cooking with oil – obsessed. I was craving something a bit zesty and warm for dessert the other day and wanted to bake a Self-Saucing Lemon Pudding, but I didn’t have any lemons! SO, out comes the trusty Lemon Essential Oil. I wasn’t sure if it was going to work, but it worked so well I had to bake it again and share it with you (pictured).
I did have lemons the second time, but still only used a little of the zest at the end – but it’s not necessary if you don’t have any.
- 1 cup of wholemeal self-raising flour (or spelt, or white)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar (you can add 1/2 cup if you like things sweet!)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (vegan if needed)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 15 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 1/2 cup milk (I used Almond Milk)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar (again, use 1/3 if you like it sweet!)
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 5 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 1 tsp Lemon Rind grated (optional, just for extra zest!)
- Mix all the pudding dry ingredients together, then the wet ingredients, then combine together.
- Pop into a greased, ovenproof dish
- Sprinkle the sauce sugar and rind over the mixture, then combine the boiling water and lemon EO together and pour over the mixture. I like to use a back of a spoon to help pour the water over to make it gentle on the mixture.
- Bake in an oven (180 fan forced) for around 35 minutes. Once golden on top, take out of the oven and sit for at least 5 mins before eating!
(Serves 4, or two servings if you’re hungry 😉 )